Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day - Heart Shaped Stained Glass Cookies


The finished product


Well, allow me to begin by saying the "directions" I found for this online were NOT very detailed, after some tinkering I finally got it down to a science and now I will let you all know about it.

First, begin with your favorite sugar cookie recipe...I used this one...

4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks
1/3-1/2 cup of milk

* Measure the flour in a large bowl and add baking powder and salt, stir to mix and set aside

* Cream the butter and add sugar slowly and beat until light and fluffy

* Add the egg yolks and vanilla and continue beating until well blended

* Add the dry ingredients slowly and the 1/3 cup of milk

* Continue beating until well blended

*NOTE* At this point the dough will be crumbly, this is normal, lay some plastic wrap on the counter and turn the dough out onto it and wrap up tightly.

* Chill the dough for at least 10 hours or overnight

*NOTE* Now this is where the tricky part began for me, when I went back to get my dough (once it was warmed up enough to work with) it was still crumbly, so I put a 1/3 cup of milk into my measuring glass and slowly added a little as I kneaded the dough until it became more dough like.

* Once your dough is more like a dough go ahead and flour your table and rolling pin well and roll out your dough to about a 1/2 inch in thickness and cut out your shapes

* Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 mins (BEFORE DOING THIS READ ABOUT THE STAIN GLASS PART)

In The Making


~ Stained Glass Heart Cookies ~
First batch I used my pizza stone, I suggest using an actual baking sheet

Now, once you have your dough all ready you are going to want to get a baking sheet and lay a piece of aluminum foil on it, then spray the foil with cooking spray to prevent sticking.

*Use your heart shaped cookie cutters and cut out your big hearts, then use a slightly smaller heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out little hearts from the center of your bigger ones.

*Place 2 Jolly Ranchers inside the little heart (I used 2 different colors)
*Bake according to your cookie dough recipe (I did 8 mins @ 350)

*Remove from the oven and stick either outside (if you are in winter like I am) or put in your freezer for about 5 mins until cooled (This will make getting the cookie off the baking sheet MUCH easier)

*Now your cookie should pop right off the foil, set them aside to cool completely before you package them up to prevent the candy from sticking.

*HINT* Placing wax paper between layers when packaging will also help keep them from sticking together.

No comments:

Post a Comment